- How did the readings influence your perception of your own clinical decision-making? How do we reconcile the value of nursing experience with known heuristics and biases used in human decision making?
As I was reading the articles regarding clinical decision making, I found it very interesting for an article to be so closely evaluating something that is part of my everyday routine. It has been challenging for me to look at my own decision making and see how these heuristics come into play. I firmly believe in evidence based practice, but I also know that experience and intuition play a huge role in my decision making from day to day. I believe there has to be a conscience effort by the individual to try and recognize their own heuristics and see them for what they are. Some of the techniques described in the Thompson article supported this idea, when he discusses the overconfidence scenario of the nurse being 90% sure of plan of action that the nurse should stop for a moment and think, do I still think this is the right thing if do if I was only 75% sure. Nurses need to look at themselves and there own thought processes to examine if they are making their decisions based solely on experience or a mixture of evidence and experience which I view as ideal.

No comments:
Post a Comment